[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope3-checkins] CVS: Zope3/src/zope/schema -_bootstrapfields.py:1.19.2.1

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fred@zope.com
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:51:21 -0400

Steve Alexander writes:
 > My plan has been to make changes in Zope that provide the features I
 > need (or at least give me flexibility to add the features I need to my
 > own code). As these changes get made, I can make my own code less special.
 >
 > So, I'd like it if you would break my code by properly implementing
 > features in Zope 3's code :-)

Perhaps you'll present a list of the features you really need?  (It's
possible you've done so and I just missed/forgot them; a pointer to an
archived email message would be sufficient.)

 > I need the flexibility of overriding form values sometimes. Here's an
 > example. I have a list of languages in a "what language do you speak"
 > drop-down widget. I also have a text box to add a new language to that list.
 > What I want is if someone enters some text into the text-box and submits
 > the form, that the language will be added to the list, *and* the new
 > language will be selected.

Gary's done some interesting work in this area.

 > I'd rather do this from my view class than by writing a special widget
 > to do it.

Why?

 > I think it is reasonable for my view class to override the request in
 > terms of what data to tell a widget it should present.

Probably.  I think this is different from what setData() is currently
being used to do.  This should probably be a separate method in the
IBrowserWidget interface (or maybe IWidget).

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fred at zope.com>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation