[Zope3-dev] Schema, widget and form refactoring (was Re: [Zope3-checkins] CVS:Zope3/src/zope/schema - _bootstrapfields.py:1.19.2.1)

andre borelan@wanadoo.fr
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:45:48 -0400

Garrett Smith a écrit:
> This is Steve's position, so I won't speak for him. I think in practice,
> though, users of HTML forms will expect a blank string to be considered
> 'missing'. I realize that a) we haven't defined 'missing' (doing that as
> we speak) and b) fields aren't used exclusively in HTML forms.

First, hello everybody.
The job you are doing is .. let's say... Waaah!

I'm a new comer to Zope3, i suppose missing_value might have a very
special meaning in some implementation.
English is not my mother language but it seems to me that :

None is nothing in every case,
0 is value 0 when used as a figure and None in other cases (somevalue=0;
							    if value..
							    or
							    if not
							    value..)
'' is value 'empty' of a string or None in other cases (idem than above)

missing is      : not_present THOUGH expected (absolute missing ?)
or              : not present AS expected     (relative missing ?)

fo example, before i subscribed to this list, i was not missing THOUGH
not present, but now, after my incredible intervention, if i unsubscribe
i'll be missing THOUGH expected or if i become less incredible, i'll be
present but not AS expected.. :)

when a value is missing for being not present BUT expected :  '' = None
= 0 = Nothing
when missing for being  not present ** AS ** expected :
'' = the value empty
0 = the value 0
None = Nothing, niente, nada, rien.

andre