[Zope3-dev] twisted zope

Butch Landingin butchland@yahoo.com
Sat, 26 Jul 2003 16:48:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

I've been mucking about with Zope3 and twisted, trying to get Zope3 to
run under twisted's reactor framework. I'm still at code-spiking stage
(trying to grok both Zope and twisted by writing a little bit of code
and seeing what happens).

The main point of this exercise is  to be able to run zope's servers
(e.g. http, ftp, pcgi, webdav, etc.) on the same async loop as twisted's
applications like twistedmail, twistednames,  etc. This might bring
together some collaborations between the two frameworks that have
previously not been easy or even possible.

I've gotten to the point where the http server runs, and in the
process I've learned a lot about Zope3's threaded server machinery and
also some of twisted's threaded server support. But there's also a lot
I haven't figured out (e.g. configuration).

I would like to get some ideas from experts from both frameworks on an
approach on how to integrate the two. Please send me an email if you're
interested in this endeavor or might have ideas or suggestions (or might
doing something similar).

Some of the issues so far:

     1. Http request parsing implementation : twisted or zope?
        In  the code-spike, I used zope's because its easier to integrate
        with zope publishing machinery. What are the advantages/disadvantages
        of using one over the other? Etags?

     2. Configuration: zope's configuration machinery (i.e. ZConfig) or twisted's
        configuration machinery (e.g. coil)? Which is better? Or maybe can I use
        both? Or maybe a way for the two to work together?

Regards,

Butch Landingin
butchland@yahoo.com

PS. I cross-posted to both the zope3-dev and twisted-python lists
so if you're listed on both, sorry.

PPS. I've looked at twistedzope.py in the twisted sandbox. Its
broken. But yes, I studied it as a possible starting point.