[Zope3-dev] twisted zope

Gary Poster gary@modernsongs.com
Sun, 27 Jul 2003 12:59:34 -0400

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 19:48, Butch Landingin wrote:
>

>>I would like to get some ideas from experts from both frameworks on an
>>approach on how to integrate the two. Please send me an email if you're
>>interested in this endeavor or might have ideas or suggestions (or might
>>doing something similar).

> Doubt I'll have any time in the near future to help, but I think it's a
> worthy goal.

Joining in on the "you're not alone...or, well, actually, maybe you are
alone" bandwagon:

  1. I too have been exploring Twisted as I can lately (I would be
continuing to build a Jabber/Twisted/Zope 2 beast in my spare time, if I
had any, actually).  I am very excited about the potential integration
of Twisted's reactor with Zope 3, and the larger coordination of efforts
between Twisted and Zope 3 that this might allow.  Unfortunately, like
Barry, I can't help right now.

  2. FWIW, Jim agreed to replacing asyncore with Twisted in the December
2002 Rotterdam sprint.  While, when I asked him a couple of months ago,
Jim said this is still on, this task is not listed on his "things to do
for a beta" list AFAIK.  In any case, your work is of definite interest
to the community, even for eventual direct incorporation within Zope 3.
  Because of this, I'd recommend going with ZConfig for your
configuration machinery.  I don't know coil and am decidedly not putting
it down, but I do know that ZConfig is new, impressive, extremely
unlikely to be replaced in Zope 3, and the "native" choice to Zope 3.

As to the request parsing, I like Twisted's design a lot.  My impression
is that if you used it, rather than Zope's request parsing, you would be
in for a lot more work, but that work would probably end up being a big
eventual win in clarity and simplicity.  If I were doing it, I'd punt
and stick with Zope's, with a regretful glance backward.  If you have
the gas to go up the mountain, though, I betcha the view's worth it. :-)

Gary