[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope3-checkins] CVS: Zope3/src/zope/schema - _bootstrapfields.py:1.19.2.1

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
27 Jul 2003 14:02:33 -0400

On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 10:40, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

>  > - Text fields have a missing_value of '' (empty string) instead of None.
>
> Argh.  I know there is a popular position that this is the right thing
> to do, but it doesn't feel right to me.  Using None as the default
> missing_value makes it easier to detect careless bugs.

+1.  Enough time spent wrestling with Oracle's insistence that NULL and
the empty string were identical makes me allergic to the use of a "real"
domain value for the missing one.  Perhaps that same problem burned out
others' sensitivities to the bogosity. :)

Tres.