[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope3-checkins] CVS: Zope3/src/zope/schema-_bootstrapfields.py:1.19.2.1

Garrett Smith garrett@mojave-corp.com
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 19:14:38 -0500

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Garrett Smith wrote:
>=20
>>>=20
>>> That seems excessively subtle.  Can't we just make the text widget
>>> act differently for required text fields than for non-required text
>>> fields?
>>=20
>> How would it act differently in these two modes?
>=20
> Here's an ASCII chart.
>=20
>                  Non-empty input       Empty or no input
> Required         Set the field value   Validation fails
> Not required     Set the field value   Set field value to an empty
> string=20
>=20
> Note that the missing_value doesn't apply in any case.

This does avoid any subtle/odd behavior. It makes me feel a tad uneasy
that the widget is reinterpreting 'required' here. But perhaps this can
be viewed as a separate layer of validation provided by the widget in
the interest of doing what the developer means in the case of a web
form.

 -- Garrett