[Zope3-dev] persistence by adaptation, and aop?

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Tue, 03 Jun 2003 13:26:55 -0400

At 01:31 PM 6/3/03 -0400, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>As Steve suggested, you can get these two things using proxies, but that
>could add significant complexity.  I am of the opinion that the only way
>to really improve upon the Persistent mix-in is to add support for these
>two hooks to Python itself.

Given that I don't mind mixing in Persistent, what I think would be even
better would be a way to either:

1. "replace" an existing object (i.e. proxify even existing references to
it), OR

2. "observe" built-in mutable types such as lists and dictionaries.

Note that #1 means we could do #2, by "replacing" the objects.  Either one
would permit truly transparent persistence.