[Zope3-dev] Re: Formatting of Created/Modified times

Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:05:47 +1000

>>> Steve Alexander wrote
>
> > People run servers with the clock set to non-UTC? Wacky... how do
> > you handle logging getting doubled up on Daylight savings switch-over?
>
> I think the idea is that the server's clock is set to UTC, but the
> server is configured to know that it is in a particular timezone, and
> thus has a local time that it is appropriate for applications to present
> to users.

Nah. My approach is that the servers are _always_ set to UTC, and UTC
alone. If you want to deliver timestamps with a timezone, ask the user
what timezone they're in, and have the application show the localised
time. The timezone of the server is almost entirely irrelevant - why
should your users care if it's in a colocation facility in, say, Chicago?

Anthony