[Zope3-dev] Vocabularies?

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fred@zope.com
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 22:18:40 -0400

Marcus J. Ertl writes:
 > Are vocabularies in a state, I may start to use them? I see,
 > documentation and implementation are growing!

And as always happens when you actually need something to work for a
project, as we did, the documentation trails the implementation.
We've implemented some advanced widgets using the vocabulary support
for customer projects, and the foundation is holding up well.

So the foundation (the vocabulary interfaces and the schema fields,
and way widgets are assembled) is pretty solid.  The specific widgets
in the Zope 3 core have seen some use, though not as much as the
core.  Widgets for the bag and set fields really aren't ready; those
fields are there for completeness of the model, but we've had no
concrete requirements for them, so widget needs haven't been explored
as much.  The base edit widgets for list and unique-list fields could
also stand some work, but we've a better idea how those should work
since we've implemented solid examples to meet customer requirements.

 > What I want them to use for:
 >
 > I have stolen some code from the zwiki to build a *global* service of
 > textsourcetypes. My Object should show a list of this sourcetypes, and
 > allow to choose which one may be allowed to use for content! So
 > multiple selections could be done, and the content of the list is only
 > known at runtime. Sounds like a usecase of Vocabularies to me!

Definately!  Please let us know how you make out with this.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fred at zope.com>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation