[Zope3-dev] calling objects when evaluating path expressions

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:39:41 -0400

At 05:06 PM 6/20/03 +0300, Steve Alexander wrote:
>One of the goals of page templates in Zope 3 is to allow them to present
>content classes that were not written with such use in mind. So, in Zope 3
>we cannot assume that properties are always provided where appropriate.

Note, by the way, that the idea of "implements no interfaces" is both bogus
and fragile.  Bogus, in that every object implements *some* interface, it
just may not be declared.  And fragile, in that it's susceptible to being
changed by changes to a base class, or by external declaration via
ZCML.  So some poor user's pages could break when a base class changes,
perhaps because product A was upgraded and product B inherited from
it.  Then a bunch of pages break for no apparent reason...  and the user
thinks, "this Zope thing is mysterious and unstable."  Better to force the
fixing of the breakage up front.