[Zope3-dev] Re: compiling Zope3 on Windows

Tim Peters tim@zope.com
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:49:15 -0400

[Garrett Smith]
> I'm able to use Cygwin, but only if I compile Python from source.

Why would you need to compile Python?  Any reasonably recent version of
Cygwin Setup should do that for you by magic, installing Python as
/usr/bin/python.

> Interestingly, there's a noticeable increase in server startup time
> (almost 2x) when cygwin is used, in contrast to VC++.

Don't know why, but probably due to Cygwin overhead in emulating non-native
filesystem and process semantics.  Python compiled with gcc on Linux is
generally slower than compiled with MSVC 6 on Windows too, but nowhere near
a factor of 2 slower.

> If anyone knows where I misplaced my Visual Studio CD,

Luckily, every MS CD has a tiny embedded homing device, so that the
MEULACSES (Microsoft EULA Compliance Satellite Enforcement System) can track
EULA violations.  I just hacked into that for you, and it says your CD fell
between the cracks in the back seat of a Ford Ranger, currently heading
south <wink>.

> let me know...life is so much easier with MS software ;-)

Unfortunately that's often true -- until something goes wrong, in which
frequent cases you're stuck.