[Zope3-dev] Re: ObjectHub should change data structure

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:22:32 -0400

At 01:57 PM 6/27/03 -0500, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>>If Persistent supplied a slot for this (_p_container?), it'd be doable
>>without any intrusion beyond that already required to support
>>persistence.  But perhaps the ZODB list would need to speak to that issue.
>
>Sounds neat, but I have to ask the stupid question: What's persistence got
>to do with containing? IMO, nada.

I could argue that it does have something to do with it, at least for
ZODB.  ZODB considers objects not reachable from the storage root to be
garbage, so at least that aspect of containment is relevant.  And from a GC
point of view, if the persistence system treats parent references as not
increasing refcount, then storages can efficiently release non-cyclical
garbage.