[Zope3-dev] service names

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Sat, 01 Mar 2003 23:08:31 +0200

>>>However publication of an event does not necessarily imply any kind of
>>>Notification.
>
> Seems to me like "publication" implies the whole delivery process from
> initiation to delivery (notification).  Seems like "dispatch" is the
> other side from notification - how about "EventDispatch" (or maybe
> "EventDispatching")?

I like this. If this change is made, should the method used by client
code to ask the service to take care of an event still be called
publish(event), or should it be called dispatch(event) ?

A few weeks ago, Gary Poster passed on to me that Matt Kromer at ZC
suggested 'signal' rather than 'event' to describe these framework-level
notifications. The advantage of 'signal' is that it avoids confusion
with human-experience kinds of events like calendar events, two-day
events etc. that are common in various kinds of content management.
So, we might have the 'SignalDispatch' and the 'SignalSubscription'
services.

I think this idea has some merit, and I'd like to see others' opinions
on it.

--
Steve Alexander