[Zope3-dev] service names

Gary Poster gary@zope.com
Sat, 01 Mar 2003 20:25:50 -0500

Steve Alexander wrote:

>> Seems to me like "publication" implies the whole delivery process from
>> initiation to delivery (notification).  Seems like "dispatch" is the
>> other side from notification - how about "EventDispatch" (or maybe
>> "EventDispatching")?
>

> I like this. If this change is made, should the method used by client
> code to ask the service to take care of an event still be called
> publish(event), or should it be called dispatch(event) ?
>

> A few weeks ago, Gary Poster passed on to me that Matt Kromer at ZC
> suggested 'signal' rather than 'event' to describe these framework-level
> notifications. The advantage of 'signal' is that it avoids confusion
> with human-experience kinds of events like calendar events, two-day
> events etc. that are common in various kinds of content management.
> So, we might have the 'SignalDispatch' and the 'SignalSubscription'
> services.
>
> I think this idea has some merit, and I'd like to see others' opinions
> on it.

Even if no one has subscribed to your newspaper, and no one buys it, you
can still say you publish it.  It's just a sad, forlorn publication that
goes by unnoticed.  :-)

The publication service in fact will notify any subscribers to a given
publication, as part of its contract; just because no one has subscribed
does not, to my mind, mean a publication has not taken place.

This is a "when a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it,
does it make a sound" kind of question, for which we all will have our
own philosophical viewpoints.  The only compelling argument to change
the name (again) would be for a significant gain in clarity.
"EventDispatch" has the same or less immediate understandability than
"EventPublication" in my mind.  I don't see the win, or the need.

I'm -1 on "Dispatch".

As to "Signal", I like it, but I remember two arguments against it,
raised on the list and in other conversations.  First, some argued that
the word connotes a very small message within the Unix world, as opposed
to the robust messages that our objects will allow.  Second, others
pointed out that "event" already is used in a variety of OO systems to
mean what it means for us now.

I don't find the first argument particularly compelling, but the second
grabs my attention: we are all concerned with making Zope 3 as
"friendly" as possible to new developers and users familiar with other
similar systems.  I wish our trade's vernacular had not settled on
"event", because of the possible confusion with calendar events, but I
suppose it has.

So I also give a -1 for "Signal".

Gary