[Zope3-dev] Re: Better access to APIs in paths (was Re: needingviewsclues- template/title troubles)

Evan Simpson evan@4-am.com
Sun, 02 Mar 2003 13:55:36 -0600

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> I don't quite follow, Evan.  Are you saying that Plone needs to register
> a URI that embeds the version of the API?  (That's a tradeoff and a
> decision not to be taken lightly... but you might not be saying that. ;-) )

I implied that, yes.  My central point was that the URI should describe
the API, not details like the Python module path.  Embedding the version
number is a separate discussion, but I support it.

> I think you're saying that the TAL parser shouldn't look at "xmlns:foo"
> to gather TAL path namespaces.  I can definitely agree with that.

Yes.

> But I quite like the suggested "talns:foo=" syntax.  What do you think
> of it?

I like it.  The analogy is clear, and it emphasizes the
compile-time-ness of the declaration.

> Well, the scheme of a URI should be something well-recognized by the
> Internet community at large.  I think URNs are often used for this
> purpose, so maybe a better URI would be "urn:plone/1.0"

Looks fine to me. Our URIs aren't likely to be of interest to the
Internet community at large, although the converse may be true.

Cheers,

Evan @ 4-am