[Zope3-dev] FreeBSD Test Results - Zope 3 / Python 2.2 - OK :-)

Barry Pederson bp@barryp.org
Tue, 04 Mar 2003 11:37:32 -0600

Jeremy Hylton wrote:

> There were problems on FreeBSD that persisted for a long time.  We
> didn't make any progress until Barry took some time to understand what
> was going wrong on that platform.  I think that's the only way to make
> real progress on a platform- or machine-specific test failures:  Find
> someone with access to the platform and machine that provokes the
> failure.

Actually, if you look at the patch, there wasn't anything at all
FreeBSD-specific about the problem - it simply a small sliver of misguided
python-coding.   I think an interesting question is...why was FreeBSD the
only OS that tickled that particular bug?

I guess it shows the value of cross-platform testing - maybe some difference
in timing or process scheduling caused the threads or processes to do
something in a different but still valid order.

	Barry