[Zope3-dev] I've changed my mind about inheritence of interfacedeclarations

Tim Peters tim@zope.com
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:35:51 -0500

[Tres Seaver]
> While very few C++ programs make significant use of non-public
> inheritance, Stroustroup expected it to be common:  the default is
> private!

Well, if it were public, "class" and "struct" would mean exactly the same
thing in C++.  I don't think Stroustrup is shy about adding methods to
things declared as structs.

WRT protected, in his "The Design & Evolution of C++" book, Stroustrup said
the introduction of protected was a mistake, a case of letting "good
arguments" override his design sense.  He noted with chagrin that the fellow
who insisted protected was vital for his company's continued use of C++ said
a few years later that it turned out they didn't use it.  It did supply an
entertaining writing task for the std committee, though <wink>.