[Zope3-dev] Tossing Data.fs considered harmful

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey@cuemedia.com
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 10:30:22 -0700

On Saturday, March 15, 2003, at 10:27  AM, Tres Seaver wrote:

> I would like to ask for consensus among the Zope 3 development
> community
> that we stop requiring people to discard existing databases without
> recourse.  In particular, this week has seen two changes which caused
> working sites to break, and which offered no possibility of saving any
> data or TTW software (actually, the "service renaming" change left the
> database readable, but applications broke;  the "opaque pickles" branch
> makes the database unreadable).
>
> Continuing the current practice is an active disincentive for people to
> begin building applications and sites with Zope3.  Such "higher-level"
> development is going to be increasingly important as we go forward:  it
> provides important feedback about the usefulness and usability of the
> infrastructure.  Having working, interesting applications be available
> for the Zope3 platform seems essential before we can event contemplate
> release;  such applications won't be written prior to the release if we
> frustrate their authors into abandoning Zope3 due to repeated data
> loss.

Are we far enough along that we can actually build sites and
applications?  I have an application I made for Zope 2 that I think
would be an excellent case study in writing / moving to Zope 3 to
highlight the differences.  I'd like to start experimenting with it,
writing about it, etc.  But considering that March 1 has come and gone
and there's been no mention of Zope 3x Alpha 2 (as mentioned in Jim's
Zope 3 roadmap [1]), I was wondering how stable/usable the core really
is.  I was thinking that we're still in early alpha stages when things
might just go *boom!*

Besides, documentation is still so scant (understandably, considering
the still early nature of Zope 3X) that I'd be surprised if anyone's
actually figured out how to make Zope 3 actually work (outside of the
core developers).  I mean, I still can't figure out the Object Hub and
when/where or even really how to use it.  So, if higher level
development is actually attainable by now, I'm interested in following
it and in trying to write articles about it as I figure it out.  But if
such higher level development is actually attainable, I imagine that
it's time for a new Alpha release so that we don't stray too far from
Jim's proposed roadmap.

[1] http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2003-January/005312.html

Considering the proposed Interface Implements change proposal that's
still floating around, I imagine that should settle before any such
release,