[Zope3-dev] Big import blocks

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey@cuemedia.com
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 16:36:00 -0700

On Thursday, March 20, 2003, at 09:26  AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Jim's always on a crusade against "dead chickens" (arbitrary things
> you have to do before you can do what you want to do).  I'm beginning
> to count the blocks of "from zope..... import ...." at the top of
> every Python module a huge dead checken.

Those big import blocks, and being able to follow them, is the only way
one can even figure out Zope 3 right now.  "zapi" is a good idea, but
it better be documented extremely well and that documentation better be
extremely easy to get to.  The only real documentation right now is the
code, and the code isn't always easy to follow (nicely - the code is
more explicit and predictable than Zope 2, but there's also a lot more
going on).

So all of those 'zapi' things better have real docstrings, so I can at
least try to learn them by using help(zapi.getService) in the
interpreter without being told "see IGetServices".

The dead chicken right now is not the amount of imports, it's being
able to grasp what you need to do, what you need to import, how things
work (enough to feel confidant in doing your own work), and of course,
ZCML (I still think most new users will spend more of their time
getting comfortable with ZCML than with anything else, at least - based
on my own experiences).  I'd rather someone tell me what the ObjectHub
is, and when, where, and how to use it, than make it easier for me to
import.