[Zope3-dev] Re: Make sure your zserver.zcml is up to date.

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey@cuemedia.com
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:04:59 -0700

On Monday, March 24, 2003, at 01:12  PM, Shane Hathaway wrote:

> R. David Murray wrote:
>>>
>>> This is a very good point. I'd be grateful if you'd make it on the
>>> mailing list, so Jim and others who are working on the server end of
>>> things can respond.
>> Woops.  I meant to.
>> By the way, I told a guy who is responsible for supporting our
>> customers who use Microsoft stuff that we'd designed in the ability
>> to turn off WebDAV (thinking we had), and he was very impressed by
>> our foresight.  Let's make it true <grin>.
>
> FWIW, this is one of the things I had in mind for "payload handlers".
> HTTP is the primary protocol for transferring many kinds of payloads,
> like browser requests/responses, WebDAV, XML-RPC, and SOAP.  So I
> thought it would be neat to be able to plug payload handlers into an
> HTTP server.  The server would choose which payload handler to use
> only after the entire request is received.  (Some payloads, like SOAP,
> are even designed to work with protocols other than HTTP.)

While WebDAV extends HTTP with not only payloads, but new HTTP commands
(LOCK, MOVE, etc).  XML-RPC and SOAP/http, by my understanding, stay
within the basic HTTP/1.1 arena.

There are other HTTP extensions and proposals such as DASL (adds a new
SEARCH method to HTTP/WebDAV), Delta-V (adds the CHECKOUT, CHECKIN, and
other CVS-like methods to HTTP/WebDAV), and so on.

There was some talk here recently about how to deal with core HTTP
'methods'.  In Zope 2, they're defined like `def PUT(...)`, `def
MOVE(...)`, etc.  I can't remember if we reached a decision on how to
work with these in Zope 3.