[Zope3-dev] Number of languages in Zope 3

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 12:21:06 +0200

>> To use all parts of Zope 3 you will need to know all languages Zope 3
>> employs.
>

> What can be doen to reduce the number of languages necessary to know in
> order to use Zope 3 completely?

Why do you consider that a desirable goal?

In any case, different languages are made for achieving certain tasks.
Everything is ultimately implemented in Python, so you can use that if
you really want to.

More specifically...

To avoid the need to know DTML, remove DTML from Zope 3.
I don't think we can do that, because some people want to use DTML with
Zope 3.

To avoid the need to know ZConfig, write scripts in python to start up
your Zope process as you need it.
I expect that Site Managers will generally prefer to use ZConfig because
it is easy to use, and similar to the way other process-level things in
other pieces of software are configured.

To avoid the need to know TAL/TALES/METAL, write all of your page
templates using python string substitution syntax.
I expect TALES will be more attractive to the majority of webpage designers.

To avoid the need to know ZCML, write python glue code to set up the
individual components that you want to use, and write python code to
make security declarations for your classes.
Most product developers and site managers will prefer to use ZCML.

To avoid the need to know Python, use only the TTW point-and-click
facilities of Zope, most of which aren't yet written, but are planned for.
Or, use J2EE and choose Java instead of Python. Or use
CGI/Other-server-technology and use the languages of your choice.

--
Steve Alexander