[Zope3-dev] Learning ZCML

guttner@fit.vutbr.cz guttner@fit.vutbr.cz
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 13:53:32 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

Following the discussion about the complexity of learning Zope3 languages and a
note about ZCML documentation, I would like to add one point.

>From my perspective of a programmer/explorer who's digging deeper into Zope3
and trying to discover how it works and how to use it or extend it, ZCML seems
to be pretty poorly documented. I was trying to find a document about it that
would contain either a reference or a tutorial-style thing but I failed
miserably. The one document I found is more like a one-sentence explanation for
the tags, which doesn't quite seem enough.

Is there a piece of documentation I missed? I think that  for
programers/developers, learning ZCML is really important. Most programmers can
learn Python in three days and TAL is also pretty simple since there are
similar things elsewhere. But ZCML is connected to the new style of component
architecture and its role is tightly connected with the new architecture.

For a programmer, I think that learning ZCML is the hardest part of Zope3, and
since Zope3 is interesting mainly for programmers at this point, it would make
sense to support good ZCML documentation.

What do you think?