[Zope3-dev] Usability is important?

Stephan Richter stephan.richter@tufts.edu
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 09:09:12 -0500

On Monday 31 March 2003 02:50, Chris Withers wrote:
> If we could get to the point where only ZConfig syntax is needed, that
> would rock...

Really? I think ZCML reads much better than ZConfig. It is almost like
English. Furthermore, it is truly trivial to develop your own ZCML
directives.

> > - I'm confident that there will be interactive UI tools for building
> >   configurations.
>
> Does that mean there's a funded project to develop such tools?

No, but it works already. You can already configure objects TTW. Note that the
filesystem-based ZCML will be only used for Filesystem-based products,
therefore the bootstrap process.

In Zope 3 we envision that many more people will be developing TTW, since the
facilities will be much better. Therefore it will be not necessary for these
people to learn ZCML at all.

In the other hand, I really do not understand why people whine so much about
ZCML. I think it makes it so much easier for developers to understand the CA.
If it would not have been for ZCML, I would have not been involved in Zope 3
as much (or at all), since I would have troubles to understand the CA.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter