[Zope3-dev] Start-up time of Zope3 under MacOSX

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey@cuemedia.com
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 08:39:20 -0700

On Monday, March 31, 2003, at 08:10  AM, Andreas Jung wrote:

> --On Montag, 31. M=E4rz 2003 9:48 Uhr -0500 Guido van Rossum=20
> <guido@python.org> wrote:
>> I experienced a similar difference between Zope3 starting on MacOSX
>> (30 secs) vs. Linux (3 secs).  I've been told one problem is that
>> Apple's filesystem is very slow on certain directory operations
>> (stat?).
>
> I know that the Mac filesystem sucks a bit. But appearently Zope 2
> starts much faster on the same machine. ...but I am trying to track=20
> this
> down.

One could try using/making a UFS partition.  Mac OS X supports it (it's=20=

the file system that NeXTStep/OpenStep for Mach used), but some Carbon=20=

apps and all Classic apps have problems dealing with it.  I don't know=20=

if Apple still recommends installing Mac OS X Server on a UFS partition=20=

or not.

I thought the startup time had to do with XML processing initially. =20
Maybe it has to do with all of the little files and directories that=20
have to be dealt with now?  *shrug*.

In any case, this is an area of the OS that is expected to be improved=20=

(perhaps dramatically) with the next major release of OS X.

This paper [1] may help.  It describes the challenges of integrating=20
the Unix and Mac OS environments, and touches on file system issues. =20
It may provide some clue to HFS+ issues.

[1] http://www.mit.edu/people/wsanchez/papers/USENIX_2000/