[Zope3-dev] zwiki: performance of findChildren()

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Mon, 05 May 2003 15:36:37 -0400

Ken Manheimer wrote:
> On Mon, 5 May 2003, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>

>>I'm speaking of the latter--allowing people to write ZODB applications
>>that store and query relationships, without using the Zope 3 component
>>architecture.  The former concern, that of changing the way ZODB
>>operates, was mentioned in connection with Ape.
>

> Ok - providing for relationships in standalone applications that use
> ZODB...

This is designed to simplify Zope 3 application code as well.  It is
useful to be able to create a centrally-managed many-to-many
relationship using a Pythonic API.

> If you're saying it should be an option to do it that way, then i'm
> fine with that.  (That's what i intended for the relationship manager
> example that mediated access to relationship info stored in the
> objects.)  If you're saying all relationships would always need to be
> expressable that way, then i would object.  I think it would be too
> intrusive - it requires that objects are changed for any kind of
> relationship in which they participate.

Quite correct.  The descriptor must be optional.

Shane