[Zope3-dev] Re: Properties?

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Tue, 13 May 2003 08:45:21 -0400

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 10:05:51AM -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
> >Another use case would be the case of dynamic content. A page template or
> >a Python function needs to be configurable in some simple way, so that
> >people can tweak its behavior without having to change the code completely.
> >A property could be used here, but I'd question whether it would need
> >to be on the folder at all -- why not on the dynamic content itself?
>
> Perhaps.  Have people *actually* used properties this way.

A bit. It's a really easy way to set up things like default mailto
address, background colors, etc. when you're doing something quick & dirty
for which CMF is overkill and/or not appropriate.
My cheezy home page still works this way.

> This might
> require
> more sophistication than is justified by the benefit. After all, you could
> always
> just define some parameters at the top of the code.

yeah, unless you use it in multiple templates or scripts,
which is the case in the scenario i describe.

--

Paul Winkler
home:  http://www.slinkp.com