[Zope3-dev] Meta Data

Garrett Smith garrett@mojave-corp.com
Mon, 19 May 2003 10:57:07 -0500

Jim Fulton wrote:
> As others have suggested, I'd provide title as a data attribute and
> use a custom DC adapter that got the title from the data, rather than
> from annotations.

What do you think of an addition to the schema framework to map a data
element to a DC element? E.g. something to indicate that field 'foo' is
also the DC 'title' element (or whatever). I could see two possible
mappings: The first, a direct field to DC element mapping, whereby a
write or read to one effected the other. The second, a read-only mapping
that used a formula to calculate a DC element value.

I think this would encourage developers to worry first about class
definitions and second about how to tap into the DC metadata features in
Zope.

> Note that the ambiguity of DC "title" contributes to the ambiguity
> here. Do people have "titles"? Do they have more than one?  DC allows
> many different titles.

True, but Zope uses title in very specific ways: to identify objects,
usually in the context of other objects. This lines up closely with
DCMI's definition:

  "A name given to the resource. Typically, Title will be a name by
which the resource is formally known."

In in this sense, I see certain DC metadata elements as high-level data
interfaces. So I think it will be important to:

- Clearly idenfity the role DC metadata play in Zope (e.g. 'title' is
used in default content lists, etc.)

- Easily allow developers to expose content data as DC metadata

 -- Garrett