[Zope3-dev] Packaging

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sun Nov 30 10:12:31 EST 2003

I'd like us to think about Zope 3 packaging a bit.

Some initial thoughts on packaging:

- zopeproducts was a stupid idea of mine that I'd
   like to abandon.  There's no point in providing a special
   top-level package (TLP) for Zope 3 add-on products.  Most
   independent Zope 3 add-on products should be either in
   their own TLPs or should be organized into project-defined
   TLPs.

- I want to make zope.app much smaller.  zope.app should contain
   core infrastructure needed by the Zope application and not much more.

- I'd like to make it easier for add-on products to survive refactoring.
   We have an area in the repository now, zopeproducts, containing products
   that are mostly dead because they weren't refactored when Zope was
   refactored. This is a dang shame.

   I'd like to introduce a new package, zope.products, that is a container
   package for add-on packages for the zope application (zope.app) that are
   part of the zope project.  These add-on products:

   - Are in some sense "standard".  They may provide widely-used components
     (e.g. common content types) or they might provide examples used to
     document or teach.

   - Do not require special software.  Anybody who can install Zope can run
     these packages without any additional software. This excludes most database
     interfaces, for example.

   - Will be refactored when Zope is refactored.

     This means that these products must have adequate unit and/or functional
     tests. These tests must be understandable, so that people doing refactoring
     have a prayer of getting failing tests running without pulling their hare out.

   - Will have identified contacts who are willing to help out by at least
     answering questions when issues arise during refactoring.

   - May be removed if they become too dificult to maintain or are hudged not
     to be worth the effort.

   - May or may not be included in Zope distributions.

Thoughts? Suggestions?