[Zope3-dev] ZConfig schema extensibility q's

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fred at zope.com
Fri Oct 3 12:58:40 EDT 2003

Phillip J. Eby writes:
 > In essence, I just have a standard ZConfig loader that needs to be told the
 > URLs of the schema and config files, and then it can "run" any ZConfig
 > file, provided that the top-level schema sets a datatype that implements
 > "ICommandLineApp".

This sounds really cool!

 > So, does that basically mean that:
 >
 > http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2003-September/008647.html
 >
 > is the way we should go?  (I.e. no inheritance of valuetype, and
 > keytype/datatype must match on all bases or be specified?)

I still think it makes sense that keytype must match on all bases, or
the sanity checks get too complex for practical purposes.  See:

http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2003-September/008649.html

(Whether the sanity checking happens at the application's runtime or
out of band is almost irrelevant I think.)

 > For the specific situation listed, that's the minimum requirement, but I'd
 > guess that sometimes people will want to add other top-level keys that are
 > specific to their application, in which case they will also be redefining
 > the datatype.

I'm not sure that "guessing" constitutes a reasonable use case, but
that in part depends on the nature of the "guess".  ;-)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fred at zope.com>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation