[Zope3-dev] ZConfig schema extensibility q's

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fred at zope.com
Fri Oct 3 16:05:37 EDT 2003

Phillip J. Eby writes:
 > Oops...  just ran into something while reviewing my doc patch...  what
 > about "handler"?  What should its inheritance semantics be?  At the moment,
 > "handler" is defined exclusively by the "most specific" schema file, but it
 > seems like maybe it should follow the same "inherit unless conflicting or
 > overriden" logic that "keytype" and "datatype" do.

Sounds fine.

Do you actually use handler on anything?  (It can be set on the
schema, sections, and keys.)

 > For now, I'm going to finish up what I've done as-is, since it is at worst
 > an inconvenience in a new feature.  But I'd like to know if you think there
 > are any issues with having "handler" follow the same rules.

Frankly, I'd love to see handler disappear.  IMO, it's a hack to make
it possible to do ugly things like set environment variables.  It
could be done differently, but wasn't for various reasons.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fred at zope.com>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation