[Zope3-dev] Re: zopeproducts, yet again

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey at cuemedia.com
Mon Oct 13 17:16:43 EDT 2003

On Monday, October 13, 2003, at 02:54  PM, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

> Jeffrey P Shell writes:
>> Is there a way to add to that path just to run Zope?  Zope 2.7's
>> ZConfig setup includes the 'products' directive:
>
> It wouldn't be difficult to add something similar to Zope 2's "path"
> setting:
>
>       This specifies additional paths directories which are inserted
>       into the beginning of Python's module search path.  The set of
>       directories specified is inserted into the beginning of the
>       module search path in the order which they are specified here.
>       Note that the processing of this directive may happen too late
>       under some circumstances; it is recommended that you use the
>       PYTHONPATH environment variable if using this directive doesn't
>       work for you.

Oo!  Didn't notice that one.

> Note that this is different from the "products" setting; that modified
> Products.__path__, while the "path" setting modifies sys.path.  Zope 3
> simply doesn't have an equivalent to Zope 2's Products package, and it
> doesn't need one.

I hope it doesn't need one.  This is my concern about 'zopeproducts',
which I acknowledge has NOT been polluted with core elements, like Zope
2's Products package has.  But with 'zopeproducts' being mentioned in
the current "how to build a product" system, I'm worried that it will
rapidly become a very polluted package.

And I'm worried that something may start out as an extension product,
say 'zopeproducts.supertemplates', which might become part of the core
distribution.  At that point, either all references to
'zopeproducts.supertemplates' will have to be altered to something like
'zope.app.supertemplates', or the core distribution will have to carry
its own 'zopeproducts' package (which, looking at CVS, is already quite
polluted).

I won't be able to make it to the Rheinland Zope 3 sprint, but Zope 3
product development is an area that I'm particularly interested in -
since this is the place where I and so many people will be spending
time with Zope 3.  Regarding packaging, I'd like to encourage  coaching
a hierarchical model, with organizations/projects/companies choosing
their own top level package ('farmdog.bugtracker',
'roundup.bugtracker') if they have a system of products/packages that
are interrelated.

> I'm happy to add a "path" setting matching this description, however.

That'd be awesome.