[Zope3-dev] Associations

Roché Compaan roche at upfrontsystems.co.za
Fri Oct 31 03:59:30 EST 2003

* Stephan Richter <srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu> [2003-10-29 18:00]:
> On Tuesday 28 October 2003 03:54, Roché Compaan wrote:
> > > I looked at your code briefly and it looks very promising. There are
> > > plans to have a native relationship service in the Zope 3 core. I just
> > > checked the Proposals section and there is an old Relationship Service
> > > proposal [1]. You might want to update it.
> >
> > Do you want to stick to the name "Relationship Service"? I like the
> > vocabulary that the MOF model provides us with and that it won't be
> > easily confused with the usage of the terms "relation" or
> > "relationship" in relational and database theory.
>
> I really don't care. But I assume that some other people do, so make the name
> discussion part of the proposal.

I am working on a new proposal with respect to the ideas put forward in
the original. I don't want to dance around the text in the original and
it will be clearer which comments have bearing on the new one.

> > > After that you could actually work on the Zope 3
> > > core implementation of this service, since you seem to be the only one
> > > that is willing to actually work on it! ;-) This way your work would be
> > > part of the whole Zope 3 effort, which would mean it would get much more
> > > exposure, feedback and input from other Zope 3 developers.
> >
> > I would like that. We found that we can't live without associations
> > anymore when building apps so I'll be working on this in any case for
> > our Zope3 apps.
>
> Cool. I am looking forward to the discussion and implementation. You have CVS
> access, right?

Nope, but if I sign and post the contributors agreement today it should
arrive at Zope Corp in 5 weeks ;-) Somebody will have to commit on my
behalf in the mean time.

--
Roché Compaan
Upfront Systems                 http://www.upfrontsystems.co.za