[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 Newsletter: Issue 10

Edward Muller edwardam at interlix.com
Sun Sep 7 15:19:44 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 07:40, Jim Fulton wrote:
[snip]
>  > If I could replace the
> > Python Scripts that massage data with a persistent module, I don't even
> > know how to address that module in public-space page templates in Zope
> > 3.
>
> Well, we need to decide that. Here are some thoughts.  There are two basic
> styles of handling forms posts:
>
> 1. Post to a template (e.g. ZPT) that calls the necessary Python code.
>     This is my preference.
>
> 2. Post to a bit of Python code that then calls the template. In this case,
>     the Python code has to have a URL.
>
> If we had Zope 2-style "script python", things would work the way they
> do now, for better or worse.
>
> If a form is posted to a template, then you could do the form processing
> in one or more script tags.
>
> If we had content-space modules, I would expect them to be traversable.
> You'd traverse a module to get at one of it's methods.  If you wanted to
> call a method from a template, you'd use a path expression like:
> "container/themodulename/thementhodname" or, in a python expression:
> "python: container[themodulename].themethodname(...)".
>
> If the form is posted to the python code, then you'd use a URL like:
> themodulename/thementhodname
[snip]

Late the the whole thing, but I have to ask, why would you want to 'Post
to a template' and have all of the validation logic in a <script> tags?

Validation logic can include things like sql calls, calls to remote
sites, etc. This is surely best done in the 'controller' space and
outside of a zpt, which AFAIK are to be used for presentation.

Like I said, I'm late the the whole discussion and zope3 is a very new
thing to me.

--
Edward Muller

Interlix (http://www.interlix.com)
Phone: 417-862-0573 - Cell: 417-844-2435 - Fax: 417-862-0572

Web Hosting - PC Service & Support - Custom Programming - Network Service & Support
Specializing in Open Source Solutions