[Zope3-dev] Proposal: get rid of the caching and connection service

Bjorn Tillenius bjorn at codeworks.lt
Mon Sep 8 10:32:12 EDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 07:58:13AM -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
> Since caches and connections are just named utilities, I'd like to
> go ahead and get rid of the caching and database connection services.
> The corresponding frameworks will just look up named utilities, as
> these facade services do now.

I think it's good to reduce the number of services you have to install
and add. One thing that I do like though, is that it's much nicer to,
for example, get a database connection by calling getConnection,
instead of getUtility(IConnection). This is true for a number of
different servicelike types, including some things I'm working on right
now.

You mention, the corresponding frameworks above, how will that work?
Basically what I'm looking for is some way of extending the utility
service. So that you still use the same service, but you get a nice
frontend to it.

Are there any plans on doing this?

Regards,
  Bjorn Tillenius