[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 Newsletter: Issue 10

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Mon Sep 8 19:50:36 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 06:58, Jim Fulton wrote:
> Edward Muller wrote:
> >
> > Late the the whole thing, but I have to ask, why would you want to 'Post
> > to a template' and have all of the validation logic in a <script> tags?
>
> Because it might be simpler in some cases.

Not for long. :)

> > Validation logic can include things like sql calls, calls to remote
> > sites, etc.
>
> If the logic is that complex, I woudln't do it in a script
> tag.  I don't think the people using script tags are going
> to be writing logic that complex.

"Scripters" (people to whom the <script> tag would appeal) are *exactly*
the folks who *would* (unlike you or I) put complex logic into their
templates, rather than factoring it into components;  they won't know
about the other options available to them, or be bothered to look for
them, because this handy-dandy feature is there.

I would far rather see a component which combined TemplatedPage with
PersistentModule, and made the names defined in the module available to
TALES via some top-level name ('template', for instance), than to inline
exec'able Python into the HTML.

Sorry-this-letter-is-so-long--I-didn't-have-time-to-write-a-shorter-one'ly,

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com