[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 Newsletter: Issue 10

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Sep 8 06:24:29 EDT 2003

Tres Seaver wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 10:54, Stephan Richter wrote:
>
>>On Friday 05 September 2003 17:47, Jeffrey P Shell wrote:
>>
>>>I'm very very afraid.
>>
>>As Jim said, 'Don't be afraid!' :-) The things you are afraid about will never
>>cross your way.
>

> Unfortunately, both Jeffrey and I have had to come in behind  "quick and
> dirty" scripters and clean up the nightmares they leave behind, on a
> number of occasions. The fact that their mess "works" makes imposing
> discipline afterwards much harder (the "ship the prototype"
> anti-pattern).

I have 2 counters for this:

1. Many of the people you have to clean up after would probably never have
    gotten far enough with Zope for you to have had to clean up after them
    if Zope 2 didn't make it so easy for them to get started. Do you think
    that these people would have started with the CMF?  Maybe some of them
    would have, but I think most of them wouldn't have.

2. They won't be able to create as much of a mess in the first place.
    Zope 2 lets people use "scripting" techniques to create software.
    They can create a dtml ot zpt page with lots of python in
    it and then reuse that page as a method all over their site.
    They won't be able to do that in Zope 3. In Zope 3, templated pages
    really can only be used for one-off pages.

CTO                  (703) 361-1714            http://www.python.org