[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 Newsletter: Issue 10

seb bacon seb at jamkit.com
Wed Sep 10 11:30:43 EDT 2003

Chris Withers wrote:
>> Speed is important. Disciplione is not important.

> Sorry, but you can't start off with that as a premise and, at ANY level,
> expect to not end up with an unmaintainable mess at some point.

But an unmaintainable mess which works now is often preferable to an
elegant structure which works in 6 months' time.

Quick, messy prototypes are perfectly valid, especially in certain
situations (e.g. a website with an expected life of 6 months and a
single developer).  The important point is to refactor them as
frequently as possible.

Perhaps a better question is, how can we make it easy to refactor?

Actually, I Shane's comments about persistent modules seem right on target:

 > we should provide a simple UI for site developers to write persistent
 > modules.  Then we should provide an easy way to call persistent
 > modules from templates; the new prefix stuff should be pretty
 > effective for that.

Wouldn't this provide the best of both worlds?

seb