[Zope3-dev] Status of parentgeddon

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Sep 15 17:36:40 EDT 2003

I've been working on implementing the parentgeddon proposal:

   http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/ParentGeddon

Along the way, I've also been implementing:

   http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/ReplaceSetObjectWithSetitem, and
   http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/SimplifyObjectLifecycleAndLocationEvents

I think it's safe to say that this is the most merciless refactoring
to date.  It affects most of zope.app. Context wrappers are basically
gone.  I'm also pretty confident that future refactorings will be more
merciful. :)

The updates are checked into the "parentgeddon-branch" branch. All tests
pass and Zope seems to run correctly. :) I still have some
issues to deal with:

- Making container proxies persistent.  If an object that doesn't
   implement ILocation is added to a container, then a container proxy
   is created around it and added to the container instead.  It should
   be possible to store references to these container proxies in other
   objects.  For this to work as intended, the container proxies need
   to be persistent.  This turns out to be a bit tricky.

- I need to provide automatic conversion of existing databases, so
   that people don't need to discard existing databases.

- I need to write some additional tests.

- I need to write check-in messages for the merge. Give the scale of
   the changes, this is no small task. :)

While this is going on, it would be helpful for other folks to try out
the changes by checking out and playing with the branch.  This is
especially true for authors of add-on products.  It is highly likely
that add-on products will need to be changed to work with the changes.
It is also fairly likely that the changes will expose holes in the
existing tests.

I hope to be able to merge the parentgeddon work into the head on
Thursday.

CTO                  (703) 361-1714            http://www.python.org