[Zope3-dev] Re: Status of parentgeddon

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Sep 18 15:38:39 EDT 2003

Jim Fulton wrote:
> I've been working on implementing the parentgeddon proposal:
>
>   http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/ParentGeddon
>
> Along the way, I've also been implementing:
>
>   http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/ReplaceSetObjectWithSetitem, and
>   http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/SimplifyObjectLifecycleAndLocationEvents
>
> I think it's safe to say that this is the most merciless refactoring
> to date.  It affects most of zope.app. Context wrappers are basically
> gone.  I'm also pretty confident that future refactorings will be more
> merciful. :)
>
> The updates are checked into the "parentgeddon-branch" branch. All tests
> pass and Zope seems to run correctly. :) I still have some
> issues to deal with:
>
> - Making container proxies persistent.  If an object that doesn't
>   implement ILocation is added to a container, then a container proxy
>   is created around it and added to the container instead.  It should
>   be possible to store references to these container proxies in other
>   objects.  For this to work as intended, the container proxies need
>   to be persistent.  This turns out to be a bit tricky.
>
> - I need to provide automatic conversion of existing databases, so
>   that people don't need to discard existing databases.

These are done.

I'm going to start working on the merge now.  I fear this will take some days.
I'll probably see places where additional tests are needed as I go.
(In the interest of getting the merge done sooner, rather than later, I
may elect to write these additional tests *after* the merge.) I'll
probably also ahve to re-refactor code that's been changed since I made the
branch.

If you care about existing databases, now would be a good time to try out the
parentgeddon-branch brach with your existing data to make sure I got the data
conversion right.

It would be helpful for people to avoid making new checkins while I'm merging
the branch.  I'll finish the merge as soon as I can.

I haven't gotten any comments on the branch, so I assume that everyone loves it. ;)

Seriously, I understand that people haven't had the bandwidth to check this out.
As a result, I expect and we should be prepared for a few days of havoc after the
merge.

CTO                  (703) 361-1714            http://www.python.org