[Zope3-dev] Requiring Python 2.3 (was: zope3 doesn't like the python datetime module?)

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Mon Sep 22 22:48:43 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 18:36, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 02:27 AM 9/22/03 +0200, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> >Tim Peters wrote:
> >>Yup.  Offhand I don't know what causes the problem.  I would *like* to see
> >>Zope Corp require Python 2.3 for Zope3.
> >
> >A strong +1 from me. Not only can we drop certain compatability modules
> >we've been keeping around; we can also safely rely on a few very nice
> >Python 2.3 features, such as
>
> I'm -1 on a change, mainly because my shop is likely to stay 2.2.2 for a
> while.  I've got too many *other* things being changed in the production
> and development environments for the next few months to want to throw a
> Python version upgrade into the mix right now.

Phillip, if that isn't a typo, then my experience says you would be
*much* better off moving at least to 2.2.3;  there are crash bugs lying
around in the 2.2.2 release, which won't *ever* be a "supported" Zope
release.  OTOH, perhaps your code never exercises those crash bugs. ;)

I'm beginning to buy the argument that 2.3 is a "better 2.2 than 2.2.3",
even;  it seems to be *way* less disruptive an upgrade than the one from
2.1.x to 2.2.y.

+1 on 2.3 for Zope 3:  I'm willing to bet that Zope3 will stress Python
in new and stranger ways as we go forward, and nobody is willing to
maintain the 2.2 line anymore.

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com