[Zope3-dev] Re: Requiring Python 2.3

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Sep 24 07:44:25 EDT 2003

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Tim Peters wrote:
> [using 2.3 is the sane, obvious thing to do]
>
> In this case it is important that Zope 2 gets a 2.3 stamp of approval as
> soon as possible. I'm not running Zope 2 on 2.2 yet even as Zope 2.7 isn't
> out yet which has official support for 2.2 whereas Zope 2.6 still blathers
> if you start it with 2.2. Let's try to avoid such a situation for 2.3..
> Since 2.3 is not a very end-user visible change (unlike 2.2) this should be
> relatively easy to accomplish if 2.2 support already exists.

I've been running Zope 2.7 with Python 2.3 without any problems. Only
Plone 1.0.X breaks which I fixed in the upcoming 2.0 release.

I think the backport issue is non-existant. 2.7 is already frozen
feature-wise, thus backport-wise. It runs well on 2.2 and 2.3. Real
Zope3 backports (such as parts of the i18n machinery) will land in 2.8
anyway and that release can require 2.3 without any problems.

Philipp