[Zope3-dev] Product Dev, was Re: [Zope] Zope3 release date

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Wed Sep 24 14:48:05 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 23 September 2003 03:42 pm, Stephan Richter wrote:
> "Florian Reiser" wrote:
> > As I'm eagerly watching the cvs changelog, I'm nervously waiting
> > for ZopeX3, because of its charm in programming products.
>
> > For that I want to try to program some products for the new
> > Zope and get into business with it.
>
> Do it! :-)

On this subject, I just wanted to mention that I am expecting to
migrate to Zope3 with my product under development, Narya.*
I was particularly intrigued by the component/interface model
and have used the concept extensively inside my product, but
it still targets Zope 2 (actually 2.5.1, which is already rather old).

I understand that "X3" is basically the core Zope3 without legacy
support for Zope2 -- I would guess that for someone who wanted
to migrate the code over more-or-less completely to the new
model, that it might be smarter to test with X3 than with 3?

And following that idea further, that perhaps X3 would be a
lightweight permanent solution for deployment if legacy
support is not needed?  One of Zope2's problems is simply
a huge accumulation of features and legacy stuff that isn't
used much anymore, afterall -- this tends to get in the way
of understanding what you *should* do, as opposed to what
is merely possible to do.

I'd like to start trying out a migrated version sometime in
December or January -- I'd like to get it to work (again) on
Zope2 before trying to migrate.  No sense in trying to fix all
my existing bugs and all my migration bugs at the same
time!

At this point, I don't know if I need legacy support or not. I'm
kind of hoping not, because I'd really like a little bit "leaner"
Zope to work with.  Not for performance reasons, but simply
for greater understanding of the design.

So this may only be a letter of encouragement to you folks who
are working on the new ZopeX3/3, but I figure you probably can
use some, as moral support never hurts. ;-)

Cheers,
Terry

* http://www.narya.net