[Zope3-dev] Need help with jargon

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Apr 1 12:00:38 EST 2004

At 10:47 AM 4/1/04 -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:

>The second kind of adapter:
>
>- Adapts any number of objects (0 or more)
>
>- Is named. It adapts to an interface qualified by a name,
>   which defaults to ''
>
>- Does not consider whether any of the adapted objects
>   already provide the desired interface and does not look
>   for a __conform__ method on any of the adapted objects.
>
>We need names for these.  These names should probably be reflected
>in the api.
>
>Suggestions?

How about "utility"?

Although utilities have historically been looked up via just an interface,
one could consider the historic definition as the special case of no
parameters and the empty name.

Perhaps the new jargon would be that utilities may now be "named" and
"parameterized".  The name and parameters are provided to the utility's factory.