[Zope3-dev] Need help with jargon

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Apr 1 12:41:28 EST 2004

At 12:23 PM 4/1/04 -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
>Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>>
>>How about "utility"?
>
>We're already using the word "Utility".  A utility is a stand-alone
>object. It doesn't adapt something else.

And how, pray tell, is that different from *adapting ZERO
objects*????   That seems pretty darn standalone to me.  :)

>>Although utilities have historically been looked up via just an
>>interface, one could consider the historic definition as the special case
>>of no parameters and the empty name.
>>Perhaps the new jargon would be that utilities may now be "named" and
>>"parameterized".  The name and parameters are provided to the utility's
>>factory.
>
>Maaaaybe.
>
>I'll note that another name for these might be "multimethods". :)

Very true.  You could simply have one multimethod per name + interface pair.

Though, now that I've read the API-simplification thread, I wonder why you
don't just go for "presenter" in the first place, if that's all these
things are used for.

>But I was thinking of adjectives for "adapter".

I find it hard to conceptualize adapting from nothing to something.  :)