[Zope3-dev] new advanced package

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Thu Apr 1 14:48:24 EST 2004

Hi everybody,

Most of you have seen the checkin comments by now, so I thought I'd give
a rundown on zope.app.advanced, which adds adapters and a UI for
advanced compatibility layer queries in Zope 3. The goal is improved
Zope 2 backwards compatibility, but to do so we had to improve the XML
support in the package. Especially superclass support turned to be tricky.

The package has been implemented by Philipp von Weitershausen and
myself, with some code contributed by Sidnei da Silva. It's based on Jim
and Steve's ideas here:

http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/AdvancedQueryMechanismsUsingXMLToIntegrateZope2BackwardCompatabilityIssues

It turned out that using the new binding selection algorithm we can
simplify event subscription for this package. The management UI can
therefore be a lot simpler than we first anticipated in the discussion
with Jim and Steve. The wiki page is therefore a bit out of date but
should still be easy to follow.

Besides the query-based backwards compatibility system, we've also added
undo integration. This was really easy after Philipp's work on the undo
model.

Check out the UI in Zope 3 by the way; we're especially pleased with it.
  We hope we can start to use the same templating techniques in other
areas in Zope 3 soon.

Regards,

Martijn