[Zope3-dev] Need help with jargon

Gary Poster gary at modernsongs.com
Fri Apr 2 11:05:19 EST 2004

Steve Alexander wrote:

> In that case, let's call utilities "singletons", as that's the role they
> play in an application.  Let's call multi-adapters "utilities" as PJE
> suggests, and let's call PEP 246 adapters "adapters" as PEP 246 suggests.
>
>   Current                          Proposed
>
>   adapter (PEP-246 style)          adapter

+ 1.  Seems reasonable enough.

>   multi-adapter / named adapter    utility

+ 0: I agree that it would have been a good name at the start, but I
don't look forward to being confused about whether somebody means
"new-meaning utility" or "old-meaning utility".  I can't think of a
better one.

I'm -1 on converter and transformer because the distinction between
those names and 'adapter' is not obvious to me, and I don't like
synonyms for names of things that are not interchangeable.  I get
confused easily. :-)  That said, maybe Philipp's direction will be a
fruitful avenue of exploration.

>   utility                          singleton

+ 1.  I think this is an improvement for a number of reasons, not least
of which that I find 'service' and 'utility' to be somewhat
interchangeable in sentences--and in fact, when they are not, an example
'utility' is 'electricity' (essential), while an example service is
'cleaning' (not essential :-).  But that's probably a controversial
argument.  I'll leave it by saying that 'singleton' does convey useful
information, as Steve argues.

Gary