[Zope3-dev] Re: role (contextual) services?l

Shane Hathaway shane at zope.com
Mon Apr 5 14:09:07 EDT 2004

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> But I've seen fairly convincing arguments that a role is really a group
> and vice versa. This to me is more interesting from an implementation
> perspective than it is from a user interface perspective, however.

Talking about security in Zope will be easier if we adopt a term that
represents a generalization of roles, permissions, groups, and so on.
I'd like to suggest that these are all "security tokens".  For a user to
gain access to some method, a contiguous chain of security tokens must
link the user to a method.

Different Zope security frameworks will provide different
classifications of security tokens (and optimize accordingly.)  Groups,
roles, permissions, permission groups, and privileges are security
tokens.  Users and methods are not.

Shane