[Zope3-dev] best practices for registry-like functionality

Garrett Smith garrett at mojave-corp.com
Thu Apr 8 13:27:54 EDT 2004

I need to manage a set of vocabulary-like objects for a site. These
vocab objects will be used by widgets.

These objects are not content, so I want to store and manage them in a
site management folder. Specifically, I need to be able to:

- Add new vocab objects
- Edit existing vocab objects
- Delete vocab objects
- Lookup a vocabulary by name
- Get a list of all registered vocab objects

In the past, I would have written a service for this, which would
maintain its own contained set of vocab objects. But I suspect I really
want a utility, since the recent trend has been to use utilities over
services.

The utility would be used to lookup vocab objects and provide a list of
registered vocab objects.

I also suspect that the utility should not contain the vocab objects,
but that the vocab objects should instead be added directly to the site
management folder, or perhaps to a Vocabulary-Like Objects Folder ala
the Page Folder.

I'm terribly fuzzy about the recommended approach for this sort of
thing. Any help would be much appreciated.

  -- Garrett