[Zope3-dev] Re: Proposal: Rename zope package

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Thu Apr 22 16:05:42 EDT 2004

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>>
>>> Why would they switch to Zope 2.8 if not for the component architecture?
>>

>> To stay current? To get MVCC? To get new-style extension classes, and
>> thus access to many modern Python features. Later releases will provide
>> benefits beyond just the Z3 features.
>

> But, if they are willing to investigate into new features, new-style
> extensions classes and all that, a small package rename from Zope to
> Zope2 should be just as manageable.

I have an important customer who *needs* MVCC (so I assert, anyway), but
wouldn't want to disrupt their very large, deployed, bet-the-business
application any more than absolutely necessary to get it.  *None* of the
other new features of 2.8 / Zope 3 are of interest at all (unless /
until they choose to do an NG version).

If it were feasible, they would be far better off with an update which
included *only* backported MVCC;  none of the other changes are remotely
worth the risks they would incur (for this customer).

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com