[Zope3-dev] Nightly Zope 3 Binary Compiles for WIndows

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Sat Apr 24 17:45:53 EDT 2004

Tim Peters wrote:

>>I'd be happy to set up a nightly (or weekly, let me know which would be
>>better) scheduled task [...] that checked out he latest HEAD of Zope 3,
>>compiled it and PUT it up to my Zope.org member area
>
> I expect that would be helpful, and also helpful for the Zope 2 HEAD,

Hmmm.. haven't heard much demand for the Zope 2 HEAD... what leads you to
believe there is demand for that?

> but
> it's not clear what you would upload.  For example, just the .pyds, or the
> entire codebase, or...?

What I used to run the tests... Equivalent of an inplace build, IIRC...

>>(I suspect the slowest part of this process will actually be uploading
>>it to Zope.org
>
> If it's just the .pyds, the upload is small and goes fast, and only *needs*
> to be done when Zope's C code changes (infrequent).  If it's the entire
> codebase, then, ya, it will go slower, and needs doing more often.

Indeed. This needs to not make people think, so "as close to a normal binary
build as possible" is good. If someone can teach me how to build the installer
process, I'd give it a go, if purely out of masochistic interest. That said, I'm
not sure there IS a Windows installer for ZOpe 3 yet, so that makes lfie easier ;-)

>>Would it be helpful to get the nightly Windows tests running again?
>
> Yes!  For both HEADs.

*thunk* (head hitting desk) Why do I offer these things? ;-) I'll see what I can
do...

> I can't know whether your perceptions have changed, but guess that they
> haven't <wink>.

:-P You know what I mean...

> Of course most developers are still on Linux, and break the tests on Windows
> routinely; that's not going to change (the things that go wrong on Windows
> don't make sense to Linux programmers -- e.g., the idea that you can't
> rename or delete an open file just isn't in their view of the world).

Muppets ;-)

> + One test will never pass on Win98SE (it opens more sockets
>   simultaneously than Win98SE can handle).

Maybe we can have a test level for pathalogically damaged OS'es like Win98?
(and no, NT, 2000 and XP do NOT count as pathalogically damaged...)

> + One of the --all ZEO tests often fails on my hyper-threaded
>   Pentium box, but never fails anywhere else, and never fails
>   if I disable hyper-threading in the BIOS.

What IS hyper threading?!

*grinz*

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk